Britten - Gloriana with Anna Caterina Antonacci (operaonvideo.com)

I continue to find online things I never knew existed or thought I'd never see again. Today it's Britten's Gloriana starring Anna Caterina Antonacci, which I flew to Madrid to see in 2018.

Photo: Javier del Real
'As an unusually gripping tragic actress and an unusually subtle singer, Anna Caterina Antonacci has “form” - and a devoted, if discreet, following. As Elizabeth I, she surpassed herself in her personification of the ageing queen, in gait and posture, gestures and facial expressions, and myriad vocal inflections…

'In terms of volume, she was at her limit in a house the size of the Real. But the point here was not to blast and bludgeon her way through the part, but, through vocal subtlety, as usual, to deliver a convincing portrait of a complex, changing character. This was, physically and vocally, an operatic performance of a kind we rarely get to see. It was a privilege to witness.'

My account is here in full.

This is the link to the video.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rameau - Hippolyte et Aricie

Händel - Giulio Cesare

Gounod - Roméo et Juliette